Monday, January 11, 2010

Trip to Bern


Today I ventured to the US Embassy in Bern to have a visit with the Ambassador. I have to admit, it was quite fun to walk up to the guards and tell them I was there to see the Ambassador. They definitely thought I had went to the wrong door, but once they confirmed my name, I was led through all the security and up to the executive office- so cool :)

The Ambassador is a great guy and we sat and chatted about the political world for a bit, as we both were involved; he as a politician and candidate, me as a consultant. He offered to pass my name along to a few places, but nothing sounded terribly promising, maybe one. Oh well. He told me that Switzerland has an unemployment rate of 4.2 or 4.5% I figured that was meant to give me hope. Au contraire, he told me that this was extremely high and the country's unemployment rate normally was around 1.5% Oh great. He did mention he would give his wife my info to invite me to some events in my new country as I must be lonely with my husband off at school. I of course lit up and thanked him for the offer and promised I would certainly take them up on it!

So I continue my search for work. In the meantime, I am going to keep busy with what Lausanne has to offer. Wednesday, I am hoping to attend an American International Women's Club of Lausanne coffee to meet other women in the area. Thursday night, my neighbor has found another fun French event, a free public concert featuring Clarika!

No comments:

Post a Comment