Monday, December 10, 2012

Snowing in...Mexico City?

Saturday late afternoon, Nicholas and I went to the movies in Polanco to see Argo. (Great film, go see it.) When we left the theater and walked out into the ritzy, open shopping plaza I thought my eyes were playing a trick on me. I swear I saw snow swirling in the darkening night sky... how the heck?
I was so stunned I could barely get the question out, "Nicholas, is it...snowing?!"
I lifted my head to the snow, just as I would in Cleveland growing up, to let the flakes fall on my face. Could this be happening? I was wearing gold sandals and a light sweater...
Christmas music was playing and kids were running around trying to grab the flakes. Turns out, we were just a part of the show. Even in a country with such a mild climate, the fancy Polanco mall was able to produce some snow for their guests. I have to say, it was kind of cool, but these kids have no idea what playing in snow is like. The red numbness of your fingers from the cold; the cold sting of the snow smacking you in the face, back, arm, wherever your brother takes aim; the not-just-nice-idea of a hot cocoa, but the necessity of one after playing all day in the snow.

*Edited to reflect the perspective that my comment about the economic position of the country was not correct. It is in fact the world's 14th economy, is rich in natural resources and home to the world's richest man. I should have referred to the income disparity and not speaking in simple terms. My apologies to anyone I may have offended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment