Thursday, December 13, 2012

Celebrating 3 years of Travel,.. I mean Marriage


"Song of the Open Road" 

Allons! the road is before us! 
It is safe--I have tried it--my own feet have tried it well--be not detain'd! 
Let the paper remain on the desk unwritten, and the book on the 
shelf unopen'd! 
Let the tools remain in the workshop! let the money remain unearn'd! 
Let the school stand! mind not the cry of the teacher! 
Let the preacher preach in his pulpit! let the lawyer plead in the 
court, and the judge expound the law. 

Camerado, I give you my hand! 
I give you my love more precious than money, 
I give you myself before preaching or law; 
Will you give me yourself? will you come travel with me? 
Shall we stick by each other as long as we live? 


by Walt Whitman 

Today marks our third anniversary. Unfortunately, Nicholas is in Korea and I am in the US, so we celebrated early in Mexico City and NYC. Of course we did. You are not surprised.

After three years, we have done a whirlwind tour of the world. Our first day of our first year of marriage started out on a plane to our new home in Switzerland. That year we traveled to France several times, Nicholas went to South Africa, we traveled to Spain and ended the year, exactly to the day on a plane back to the US.

Our second year of marriage, we started off in the US then quickly packed and sold our belongings to move back to Switzerland. That year, I came back to the US for a quick tour, then we traveled to the Middle East. We enjoyed Dubai and Abu Dhabi. We did many trips around Europe to see friends, including Belgium, the Netherlands, England, Austria and Italy. We ended the year with a new contract to move to Asia.

Our third year of marriage included a trip to the US, a quick vacation down in the caribbean for Nicholas, and our long flight to our new home in Korea. Nicholas made a visit to Japan, then was off to Dubai, Turkey and Germany for work. I headed back to the US for work and we met up in Brazil. We then headed back to Asia for a couple of weeks before we flew back west to stay in Mexico for two months. After a quick trip to the US, Nicholas flew back to Korea yesterday and I flew to visit my family.

With our track record, I have no idea where year 4 will take us but it seems likely to be an adventure.

I feel incredibly blessed with the chance to travel and live in new countries and learn new languages, customs and cultures. I feel even more blessed to do so with my best friend.


"I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train." Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment