Sunday, December 15, 2013

Chicago Family Weekend!

Last weekend Nicholas and I jumped on a flight to Chicago to spend time together with the family for the holidays. With a several hour delayed flight, we arrived quite late on Friday, but half of the family was still up and we got a chance to have a few drinks and chat. Saturday morning, I finally got to see the kids! Carter and I played and then we headed out to the neighborhood restaurant for lunch.
Carter and I being silly
During naptime,  Mom (aka Grandma) and I went to the store to pick up some items for that night’s dinner and to make gingerbread cookies. When we got back Carter was ready to get started and he and I, with some help from Grandma, got a few dozen gingerbread-men and women baked. Of course, Carter had his own ideas on how we were going to produce these cookies, including dipping his hands in flour and putting his little paw prints all over my black outfit (yep, obvious bad choice). We laughed and created some of the silliest looking gingerbread cookies- but they tasted delicious.

That night, after 10+ hours of smoking pork, Tony and Rachel presented their pulled pork meal. It was spectacular! I am still dreaming about those sandwiches and sauce they made.
 
She's mine, ALL mine! 

Sunday, we had brunch at one of their favorite places and Carter and Lyla opened up some gifts that we had brought from our travels around the globe. I hogged Lyla the whole day, holding her and feeding her and generally not allowing anyone else near her. I was sad to say goodbye to everyone, but with a new address in the US in January, it is going to be much easier to keep in touch. I see a lot more playdates with Carter and Lyla in my future!

No comments:

Post a Comment