Friday, January 25, 2013

Canton Tour

Over the holidays, I was able to spend a Sunday afternoon with Poppy and Grandma Leah in their beautiful home. We ate her delicious, spicy soup and Poppy shared stories from his youth. His memory is so vivid of those days. The way he spoke of the coal mines, his siblings, the neighbor he used to spy on makes you feel like you were transported to his childhood. I plan on spending time with them on my return and hopefully recording these stories. The imagery is so vibrant, the stories so detailed. He wants to write a book and it is just a matter of putting his words on paper. 

After he finished sharing, we discussed books and movies. My grandparents are in the know of what is cool. Poppy told us that when my dad went to college, he introduced him to the book "A Confederacy of Dunces," and everyone in the room, minus me, had read and enjoyed the book. I added it to the list of books that I must read and started searching Amazon on my phone. In the meantime, Leah slipped out of the room and before I knew it, I had a brand-new, still in cellophane, copy of John Kennedy Toole's book. They had saved it to give as a gift someday. I am so happy I was the recipient!! I have been quite busy so only got through the first few chapters, but look forward to some slower days and long reading sessions. 

From Poppy and Leah's, I went to see my FGM, Laura. She had just moved into a new apartment 5 minutes from my grandparents (!!), and needed help hanging pictures on her bare walls. I spent the night, and we measured and hung her frames in each room of her new place. By the end of the night, it looked like she had lived here for a long time. It was quite an accomplishment, as I am the last person who should assist in such matters. Moments requiring extreme concentration and attention to detail are not my strength, but at the end of the night, you would never have guessed it! I suppose we all can change :) 

So happy some of the people I love the most now live so close to each other. Cannot wait to see them all again when I go back through Cleveland in February! 


No comments:

Post a Comment