Friday, September 17, 2010

Courge... The story of my first fresh pumpkin pie

Because Switzerland does not have that delicious canned pumpkin goodness that we have in the States and I can feel the pressure of Thanksgiving upon us, I decided to do a test run of pumpkin pie today to determine whether a request to the States needs to be made for the tinned version or if I can do it on my own. Fresh.

I went out, bought some courge and went to work making my very first real pumpkin pie. Or so I thought. I boiled the pumpkin, removed the skin, mashed it and mixed all the ingredients together and set it aside to bake it later that evening. When I met Yann later, I told him about my new recipe with courge, he said, oh, you mean citrouille? The orange plant used at halloween? hmmm. Yep, that plant. Turns out, I used a squash to make my first "pumpkin"pie.

When I baked it and served it, it tasted just like pumpkin pie. I have to make a few variations on the recipe, like buying pumpkin :) but all in all I don't think I will go back to the can. Fresh is just too easy and good.

No comments:

Post a Comment