Friday, October 26, 2012

MAM- In Wonderland

Excellent exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art here in D.F. I spent the better half of last Friday enjoying all the exhibits, but most of all, the women in surrealism from the US and Mexico exhibit entitled "In Wonderland." It is the first time that the women have had their own exhibit without being shown next to their male surrealist counterparts who often overshadow them. 
I got to stand inches from some of the most famous Kahlo works along with other fascinating artists such as Alice Rahon, Bridget Tichenor, Helen LundebergMaría Izquierdo, Louis Bourgeois, Leonara Carrington, Francesca Woodman, and many many more.  Some pieces that stood out for me: 

Entitled: "Self-portrait of my sister" Gertrude Abercrombie had a sense of humor
One of my absolute favorites out of the collection done by Rosa Rolanda
Remedios Varos creations had me entranced
The exhibit will continue through January and since it is just a few blocks away, I have a feeling I am going to spend a few more afternoons there studying the works.

No comments:

Post a Comment