Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cover Letters

I am writing working on my cover letters for some interesting jobs. However, I am not getting very far and thought maybe it would be best to take a quick break to update my blog and do some writing that I enjoy before I go back to putting together letters for applications.

In general, I am not a fan of cover letters, but today, with a few jobs, I am glad I have the chance to add something extra. It may not be clear to the reader when they see my resume that I am a perfect fit for the position, so having the chance to write a little extra will allow me to demonstrate why they should hire me immediately.


After a year and a half out of work, I feel like an over-caffeinated, uber-eager, fresh college grad ready to sink her teeth into her first real job. I have set my expectations as I would for a marathon, and I look at this job search much like my training for a 26.2 race.

You must put in effort everyday. You must have a plan. You must reach out to others to help you when you are feeling like you just cannot do it. You have to do all of the training, even things you do not like, such as hill or sprint training (cover letters, anyone?) because that is the only way you will succeed. Finally, you have to set three goals for yourself for race day: your dream time, a good time, and to finish. That way you are covered no matter what the day turns out to be like.

I am still working on my three goals for this job search and will share when I have thought it out more. One thing I know for sure, it is probably going to take more time than I will like and I have to be OK with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment