Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Earthquake

This morning I met with an IMD partner from 2011 who lives in DF with her husband and small children. She picked me up and took me to a great restaurant for breakfast where we chatted for several hours and drank a gallon of coffee. During breakfast, she received a phone call from her mom and said she had to take it because her mom never called during the day. They spoke briefly then she hung up. She asked me if I felt 'el temblor'. I had no idea what she was talking about- my Spanish failed me in the moment. She explained what an earthquake was in Spanish and demonstrated by acting it out a bit. I laughed and shook my head, still confused. "No. Ahora? Aq?" I asked. She confirmed that there had just been one and her mom had heard about it on the news and wanted to make sure that her and her family were OK.

Turns out, the earthquake was in Guatemala but was so strong it was felt all the way here in Mexico City. DF actually does have quite a few earthquakes, mostly because it is a city built on an old lakebed and is considered one of the most active trenches in the world; recording more than 90 earthquakes a year. However, most are very mild and people continue what they are doing. After the destruction and death from the famous earthquake that hit in 1985, all the buildings are now properly designed to handle them. Phew! You learn something new everyday. 

*Donde te agarro el temblor? = Where were you during the earthquake (more or less)

No comments:

Post a Comment