Friday, June 24, 2011

My new Australian Friend

I made a new friend last week and this week I had the chance to toast her on her birthday at a bar with one of the best views in Lausanne. I had seen her status update earlier that day and it made me do a double-take:


is happy to be celebrating on the longest day of the year for a change!


I had to think about June 21 and confirm and re-confirm that indeed it is always the first day of summer and that it is indeed always the longest day of the year. I thought of any possible way this could be different and my very northern hemisphere mind couldn't figure it out... Until I met with her and she was glowing with the warmth and sunshine. She told me how this was the first time she ever had a birthday when it wasn't cold and dark. And then I realized that in the Land Down Under, June 21 is the first day of winter and the shortest day of the year!




No comments:

Post a Comment